Prospective Students

Application Deadline: 
Spring Admission – November 15
Fall Admission – February 15

Total Credits: 42
GRE Required: No
Minimum TOEFL/IELTS Scores: 600 (PBT), 100 (IBT) or 7
Degree Awarded: M.F.A
Supporting Documents Required:

• Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
  • 2 letters of recommendation
  • Resume/CV
  • Personal Statement
  • Writing sample (30-50 pages of fiction, nonfiction or 10 poems)

Program Director: Michelle Valladares
E-mail: mvalladares@ccny.cuny.edu

For more information on the application process, visit CCNY Graduate Admissions.

For more information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience, below are some frequently asked questions regarding the application, requirements, and process of submission.

When I apply online, does everything go straight to you? 
All application materials and fee payments must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Once all materials have been received and logged, your application is then forwarded to our graduate review committee. Any application materials sent directly to the English Department (via email or snail mail) will not be accepted (e.g. please don’t have transcripts, letters of recommendation, or checks sent here).

Am I eligible for an application fee waiver? 
The English Department does not handle application fees, nor does it have authority to waive application fees. For questions about this fee, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.

What if I started an application before the deadline but my transcript/letters of recommendation/check haven’t been received yet?
Students who file an application before the deadline should follow up with the Office of Graduate Admissions regarding the status of their application and application materials.

How do I submit letters of recommendation in support of my application?
Letters of recommendation are confidential and submitted directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions by the recommender, not by the applicant. The application system should provide all necessary information to the applicant and recommender.

What should I use for my creative writing sample?
Consider work that best represents your talent.

What are you looking for in a personal statement?
We want to know who you are, why you’re a good fit for our MFA Programs, and why our program is the right fit for you.

Should the writing sample or personal statement be single or double-spaced?
Personal Statement: Single.
Writing Sample: Double.
Note: Poetry writing sample submissions may be formatted according to the needs of the poems.  

Can I combine shorter works to total the required page count for the writing sample?
Yes.

I went to CCNY/CUNY for undergrad. Do I still need to have transcripts sent to admissions?
Yes.

I was accepted to the MFA Program in Creative Writing, but my life has changed and I won’t be able to attend this semester. Will I have to reapply in the future? 
Accepted students may defer enrollment for up to one year from the term of acceptance. After that time, students must reapply.

Ready to apply?

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message